This is the largest national park in Uganda covering 3,840 square kilometers and the first park to be gazetted in the country by 1952, it was initially gazetted as a game reserve in 1926.
Murchison falls national park lies on the Northern Albertine rift valley bisected by Victoria.
The Nile created the northern and southern sections. The waters of the Victoria Nile as it falls over 45m plunging through an 8 meters wide Chasm creates the majestic Murchison Falls, the river flows through the park into lake Albert along which it creates a delta downstream famous for Shoebill stock viewing in the park.
Location Proximity and access:
– Murchison Falls NP is approx. 6 hours from Kampala/Entebbe.
– Accessed by flight at Pakuba Airstrip, Bugungu Airstrip, and also Chobe airstrip on the Chobe side.
– Murchison falls is Approx. 340 km, 6 hours’ drive from Kibale Forest.
– Approx. 350 km, 7 hours’ drive to Kidepo Valley National Park. (flights available).
– Only 150 km, 2 hours’ drive to Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary along the Kampala route.
Activities in Murchison Falls National Park:
– Game Drives (Day & Night), there are various game viewing tracks and points within different ecosystems in Murchison Falls National Park where you will have a chance to see different wildlife species. The Buligi Peninsula is the best area for game viewing in the open savannah grassland, while the Delta poses great chances of spotting lions hunting for prey.
– A boat cruise upstream from Paraa towards the falls is an amazing way to experience the Murchison falls with chances to view various wildlife species by the river banks not withholding several aquatic birds. Combining this cruise with a moderate hike to the top of falls is commendable for the best views of the Magnificent Murchison Falls.
The boat cruise downstream to the Nile Delta is recommended for birding trips with chances of viewing the great shoebill stork, while sunset cruises are another form of relaxation on the Nile with views of the sunset on the river.
– Sport Fishing; Keen Anglers love Murchison falls national park for the superb fishing opportunities it poses on the Victoria Nile and at the Delta, there are high chances of catching a Nile perch of up to 90kgs, catfish, Tigerfish, Tilapia, or an electric catfish.
– Nature Walks and Hikes; are also available in Murchison Falls National Park, apart from hiking
to the top of falls off the boat cruise, you can also experience the park on foot through Kaniyo
Pabidi and Rabong forests with trails leading to primate and bird views.
Experiences; Cultural performances from the Mubako dancers at Boomu Women’s
group Bandas. Boomu women group offers experiences into the communities to learn the lifestyle
of the local people living around the Murchison Falls National Park. Farm tours and food
processing experiences will always add to your exploration of the traditional lifestyle of this
– Hot Air Balloon Safaris, Only Available at Murchison Falls National park in Uganda currently.
This is a unique way to view wildlife while flying, the flight is approximately 1 hour and can go
up to 1000 meters high. You can choose to go during sunrise or sunset, a pre and post-flight
ground safari always accompanies your Balloon safari.
– experience Birding, Murchison Falls National Park has 451 recorded bird species both Savannah forest
birds, Waterbirds, and Albertine Rift endemic species. There is also a 2-4 hours guided swamp
walk at the delta which is the shoebill viewing sight, while the boat cruise downstream to the Nile Delta is also recommended with chances of viewing the great shoebill stork.
For more details and to plan a tailor-made kosher safari trip in Africa – contact us now!